Monday, August 18, 2014

Happy Birthday, Dad




Any reason for a celebration is glorious in my book.  This world needs more joy and happiness...  The difficulty, I've found, is making a birthday card masculine - for those moments that require creativity for the men in my life.  How in the piles of buttons, flowers, and bright colors can you create something for a man - that isn't completely embarrassing for him to receive?

My latest attempt at crafting masculinity:


I began scowering my stash of crafting supplies for browns, blues and greens.  Yes, I realize that those colors aren't distinctly male but for the 70+ year old recipient, no doubt they are preferred to pinks.  I used a grey card backing and began layering, tearing, and inking. 

First, I cut out a white sheet and ink the outer edge with two ink colors (Tim Holtz Distressed Ink).  After which, I made little incisions and peeled back the paper to add a vintage quality. 


Next, I tied twine around a banner I cut out and continued by using punches to add various shapes and colors; adding buttons for additional embellishment.  


I just hope he enjoys the finished product!


Materials:

  • Paper: DCWV Paper Packs, Recollections Paper Packs, kraft, white and colored cardstock
  • Stamps: Market Street Stamps - Simple Salutations
  • Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Inks - Vintage Photo and Paper, Memento Ink - Tuxedo Black
  • Embellishments: Twinery Twine, buttons, self-adhesive gems, alphabet chip board, embellished stick pin
  • Other: Fiskars - Trimmer, circle punch, square punch, scissors, and scalloped circle punch, black paint and fabri-tac

No comments:

Post a Comment